Sunday, November 1, 2009

NaNoWriMo and Toilet Paper; They are Connected


I've got a new book I have just barely started. I really wanted to finish it by the end of the year because I have another idea that has surfaced in my brain, and it's itching to be written. So when other members of A.I., a chat group of fellow LDS writers, were all jumping on board to do NaNoWriMo, I decided to join them.

NaNoWriMo, or National Novel Writing Month, is a challange to anyone who would like participate in trying to write an entire novel in one month (It's always in November, but personally I wish they would pick January because there are no holidays to cook, shop and decorate for, and quite frankly, January is boring--a perfect month to challange oneself to the challange of writing a 50,000 word book in 30 days).


This will take a lot of disipline and time. I've been wanting to do this for the past 2 years but have always been in the middle of some other project. But this year I'm excited for the challange. Yesterday I experienced something akin to the nesting instinct that kicks in right before you give birth to a child. I deep cleaned our computer room and my sewing/writing room. (Tasks that had been long neglected). I also fixed broken toilet paper roller holders in two bathrooms. (You know how after 10 years in a house those molly bolts give way and tear out of the wall leaving the holders dangling and useless, forcing you to sit the toilet paper on the back of the toilet becaus after all, who wants to take the time to fix something so boring and unnecessary?)

So even if I don't accomplish my goal of 50,000 words, and get my name on a computer screen somewhere (the only reward for completing the task--besides the sense of accomplishment), at least my creative space got a good cleaning and my trips to the bathroom will be facilitated by easy toliet tissue dispensement!

No comments:

Post a Comment