Thursday, April 15, 2010

Whole Wheat Brownies, you gotta try them!

For Christmas I recieved a package of Lehi Mills gourmet brownie mix. One lazy evening for dinner I decided to make them up. My family each took brownie--that was all. I ended up throwing the rest of them away. "We like your's better, even if they do have whole wheat in them," responded my daughter, Danielle, the world's fussiest eater.

Lately I've had a number of friends and neighbors ask me for my whole-wheat brownie recipe. I thought my Mid-Month Make Something blog would be the perfect time to share the recipe. So here goes. I don't even have to rummage through my recipe box to find it. I make them so often (my family loves them) that I've got it memorized. They are so easy to make you'll never want to resort back to those aweful boxed mixes, chucked full of chemicals and who knows what else. The whole wheat adds a texture and flavor that I believe enhances the brownies, rather than takes away from it. Give them a try. You don't even have to frost them to enjoy them. (I never do, its just more sugar and fat you don't need).

CAROLYN'S WHOLE WHEAT BROWNIES

1 3/4 cubes of butter
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup cocoa
Mix these ingredients together until smooth and then add:
1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour (freshly ground is best).
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup of chopped walnuts
Mix together and pour into a greased 9"x13" pryrex baking pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for aproximately 45 minutes. Cool and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment