Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Homemade Yogurt and Waffles at a Writers' Retreat






This past week I attended the Authors Incognito writers' retreat held in the beautiful mountains east of Heber, Utah. For my food contribution I brought some of my homemade honey vanilla yogurt. I also brought some frozen peaches from my tree and the makings for my whole wheat waffles. (Okay, so the picture shows my favorite way to eat them at home--with fresh strawberries and bananas). Everyone loved them. So much so, they asked for the recipes. What a better way to share them than to share them with all my blog followers.

WHOLE WHEAT WAFFLES
In mixing bowl combine:
1 cup freshly ground whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoon powdered milk
1/8 tsp. nutmeg (optional)

in a liquid measuring cup place:
1 to 2 tsp yogurt
add water to the 3/4 cup mark (or omit powdered milk above and use regular milk here)
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Add the liquid to the dry ingredients, add one egg, mix well and pour into heated waffle iron.

A year ago I realized I was buying vanilla yogurt almost every time I went into the supermarket. (I love to eat it for breakfast along with fresh fruit on my homemade whole wheat waffles). So I  tried a few recipes that I found on line, added some things and subtracted other things, coming up with a recipe that I liked. I gave homemade yogurt away for Christmas last year, along with my recipe. All of the recipients loved it.
 It's healthy, tasty, and easy. You just need a candy thermometer, a good sauce pan, an oven that can maintain a temperature of 100 degrees, and the following ingredients:

HONEY VANILLA YOGURT
4 cups of fresh milk
1/3 cup powdered milk
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin (1/2 envelope)


Mix together in a heavy sauce pan with a wire whisk.
Turn the burner to low-medium low and let the milk slowly rise in temperature up to 170 degrees, but DO NOT let the milk come to a boil. Stir occasionally to prevent a film sticking to the bottom of the pan.

When the milk mixture reaches 170, remove from heat and stir in:
1/2 cup honey
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Let the mixture cool down to between 130 and 120 degrees and add:
1 teaspoon instant pectin (for making freezer jams)
2 tablespoons sugar
(mix the two above ingredients together first to aid in the distribution of the pectin. You can omit this step, but the yogurt might be a little thinner and less sweet).

When the mixture reaches a temperature between 112 and 108, add:
1/2 cup of yogurt starter. (Use plain or vanilla. You can reserve a 1/2 cup from your previous batch of yogurt).

Mix well with wire whisk. Strain and pour into containers. I like to use Pyrex bowls that come with lids, but I have found that used yogurt containers work, as long as they have snap on lids.



Put the lids on the containers and place in a pre-heated 100 degree oven for 6 to 8 hours. Turn off the heat and let remain in the oven for another 1 to 6 hours, depending on how strong you want the yogurt flavor.


Refrigerate and enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. I've never tried them. I don't know if they'd contain the right enzymes to feed the freindly bacteria that's in the yogurt culture so it can grow and form the yogurt. All's I can say is give them a try.

    ReplyDelete