Sunday, November 28, 2010

Book Review: Scorch Trials.

I just finished reading James Dashner's, Scorch Trials, and, whew, I think I need a nap. The action never let up. James had me on the edge of my seat almost throughout the whole book. His use of short chapters and cliffhangers at the end of each was very effective in maintaining the tension.

Thomas, who had been a maze runner in the first book, and responsible for getting he and his friends out of the Glade, is immediately dropped into a pot of problems at the onset of the book. Now he has to endure the Scorch Trials. He and his friends have to endure scorching deserts, deadly lightning storms, abandoned disease riden cities full of crazy people, and betrayal, as he battles to make it to the "save haven" in the alotted time. He barely makes it. But the tension is not over.

The book leaves me dangling at the end. To me there wasn't enough resolution. I realize that there is another book still to go in the series. But I needed a little more of a breather, a touch of something warm and fuzzy. Especially if I am to dive into another book and another round of sitting on the edge of my seat.

 My tastes usually go for something more mellow, but overall, I did like the book. I would heartily reccomend it to one who likes to chew their nails while they read.

1 comment:

  1. LOL, it's funny how we so often enjoy these nail-biters, eh? We must be gluttons for punishment. But I agree, a little breather now and then makes the tense parts all that more delicious.

    I have this book on my shelf, but haven't read it yet. Thanks for the review, Carolyn!

    ReplyDelete