Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Today Show Blunder (But then smut sells more than Newberrys)

I can't beleive it, one of the few TV shows I ever watch just sunk in my personal ratings. I read an article on the SCBWI website today about how the first time in the eleven years the Today Show didn't have the Newberry and Caldecot winners on their show after the awards were announced at the mid-winter ALA conference. As if that insult was not enough, the time slot, that these guest appearances would have aired in past years, was filled by another author; an auther about as far away from the caliber of a Newberry as one could get--Snooki (reality TV star of Jersey Shore). Since I had just blogged about Snooki's less than stellar book last week, having seen that interview on the Today Show, (unaware that it had taken the place of this year's Newberry winner, Moon Over Manifest--a book that I have read, loved, and plan to review on this blog soon), this caught my interest. You can read an excellent article on thisToday Show faux pas posted on publishers weekly. You can also review what I had to say about Snooki's book last week on my blog. What is this world coming to? Will sumtty, poorly written works soon become the books of choice for our children, and awards like the Newberry will merely mean a gold label on a jacket cover?

2 comments:

  1. I am sorry to hear this. I read the article you linked to, and it makes me laugh. Yes, the Today Show does "more book" interviews than anyone else...if the books were written by famous people like Madonna or Snooki. Makes me sick. Actually the only thing I've seen about Snooki's book that I liked was a clip from Stephen Colbert and it was a little, well, mocking. Not planning to read it, but I'll enjoy hearing your review of the Newbery book. I'm always looking for a good read (and the books keep piling up!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Carolyn I am giving you the Sylish Blogger award! Come claim it! =0)

    ReplyDelete