Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Am I Contributing to the Death of an Institution?

I retrieved the untouched Sunday paper from the recycle bin today and read it during breakfast. I haven't read the newspaper for ages. The only reason we take it is because I felt sorry for the lady trying to sell subscriptions. I only purchased the weekend edition, but I still rarely read it. So why this time? I had an itch to look for something in the classified section. I dug and dug through the paper, looking for that big thick entire section of classified ads that I remember from years ago, but was only able to find this piddly 4 page section of ads. That was it, four pages to list everything from jobs to jockstraps for sale.

 Though I can't say my findings were shocking, it was disappointing. I suppose I want every good thing to stay the same as they were in my younger days. Times are changing. I must face the truth: newspapers are dying--at least those printed on dingy gray paper.

An unidentified Chicago Sun Times columnist did say, "Newspapers aren't dying; our readers are." Statistic state that the average age of a daily newspaper reader is 55. That's how old I am. So what can I expect if even I, an old time newspaper reader finds it so much easier to get my news and surf the want ads on-line. I just hope the new age of newspaper professionals will find a way to keep writing great articles, keep those politicians honest, and keep food on the table, because I know I don't pay for the news on-line. Do you?



2 comments:

  1. When some one searches for his necessary thing, so he/she needs to
    be available that in detail, so that thing is maintained over
    here.
    My webpage :: how to get rid of acne scars at home

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello to all, it's truly a fastidious for me to pay a visit this web page, it consists of valuable Information.
    My site ; cystic acne home remedies

    ReplyDelete