Monday, January 25, 2010

Book Review: The Dark Divine by Bree Despain


My 13 year old daughter is a real Twilight fan--read them all 2 or 3 times, (oops, wrong, she just informed me it was 4 times each), has the posters, the t-shirts, etc. So when I attended the local SCBWI conference last fall in Salt Lake and heard about Bree Despain's soon to be released werewolf book, I knew I had to get it for her. I purchased it for her as a Christmas gift on Dec. 22, the day it came out. She loved it, read it in 2 days. The other day I picked and decided to read it for myself, as I write YA fiction myself. I must say, I quite enjoyed it, even though I'm not the vampire/werewolf type.

The story starts out a bit slow, setting the scene in a small town high school, with the reappearce of a boy that slipped mysteriously out of Grace's life some years ago. You suspect that Daniel has some sort of dark hidden past, but you don't know for sure. The author does a good job of keeping you on the edge with your suspicions, while hoping Grace's romantic involvement with Daniel continues to deepen. Even though the premise is pure fantasy fiction, the characters are believeable and likeable, and I became immersed in the story. There are some twists and surprises that I somewhat suspected near the end, but just enough to make them rewarding when the truth came out. All in all I liked the book. It was good, clean YA fiction and would recomend it to not only Twilight fans, but those who like a good, romantic, adventuresome read. I applaud Bree for this, her first novel, and wish her well as a fellow Utah writer in her future works.

No comments:

Post a Comment