Thursday, January 13, 2011

Book Review: Matched, by Ally Condie

Here is another local author that is going to go places. Ally Condie did an awesome job of drawing me into her new novel, Matched, not only effortless (on my part), but with a story line that falls in place with Hunger Games and Maze Runner as a must read in dystopic YA. I love a book that I introduces me to a different world and pulls me into a character's head without feeling confused. I also love books with invisible writing; ones that are well written and don't distract me by prompting my internal editor to reach for a red pen. Matched is one of those books. Thank you, Ally.
Cassia lives in a future time where everyone's choices seem to be made for them by the government, including one's choice of a spouse. Frustration, fear, and appreciation of my own freedoms, were some of the emtions Matched evoked as I read its pages. Cassia starts out not wanting to do anything contrary to the Society, for that is the way to be safe, to keep life easy. But as she starts to fall in love with someone other than her match, and discovers the beauty of poetry that is not sanctioned by the Society, Cassie's life becomes complicated and I as a reader can't help cheering and urging to break free from the shackles of that incipent Society she lives in.
I would easily recommend this book to young readers and old alike.

No comments:

Post a Comment