Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Cream of Asparagus Soup--new recipe from my kitchen just in time for Asparagus Season

This time of year one of my favorite vegetables finally becomes affordable: Asparagus. My daughter loves cream of Asparagus soup, but I've found all of the recipes are too heavy on the cream, thus calories. My husband, on the other hand, doesn't care for cream of asparagus soup because it "only has two ingredients, cream and asparagus." So this year I came up with my own tasty version of the soup to appease both of the picky eaters at my house. The addition of shrimp gives it a feel and taste of a lobster bisque.



Easy, Lite, Cream of Asparagus and Shrimp Soup

1 medium onion, finely chopped (aprox. 1 cup)
2 tablespoons olive oil

Saute together for 5 min, or until the onions start to caramelize then add:

2 tablespoons butter 
3 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons grated carrot
2 tablespoons finely chopped sweet red pepper

Cook together for one minute then add:

4 teaspoons chicken boulion paste
2 cups of water

Mix and cook together until mixture thickens, then add:

3 cups 2% milk
2 cups chopped asparagus
1 teaspoon coriander
black pepper to taste.

Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, then add:

1 cup diced raw shrimp (about 8-9 jumbo) 

Continue to cook for about one or two minutes, or until shrimp barely turns pink.

Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with cayenne pepper.
(For a thicker soup, increase butter and flour by 1 more tablespoon each)





No comments:

Post a Comment