Saturday, April 23, 2011

A to Z Blogfest: T is for Tree

I love trees! In honor of Earthday and the letter T, I am going to share a picturebook manuscript I have written about one of my favorite friends.

My Friend is a Tree

My friend doesn't wear
pink bows in her hair.
My friend doesn't eat
milk, muffins, or meat.

My friend doesn't shop,
swim, cycle, or hop.
My friend's not like me.
My friend is a tree.

In spring she's all white.
Her blossoms delight
my eyes and my nose.
I love what she grows.

She's so fun to climb
in midsummer time.
If I get the whim,
I swing from her limb.

an apple a day
I eat when I play
with her in the fall.
She helps me grow tall.

Last winter I'm told,
when it got too cold,
she gave her right arm
to help keep me warm.

There's more to y friend.
Her gifts have no end.
She gives me for free
stuff essential to me.

Recycling the air,
she makes lots to share.
Used air becomes new,
so I don't turn blue.

When it's a hot day
I don't want to play.
I long for her shade
where cool air is made.

When I wan to run,
when smog dusts the sun,
I'm glad that she's there,
her leaves clean the air.

My friend's not alone.
All trees that are grown,
like oak, ash, and fir,
give gifts just like her.

We all need the trees,
baboons, birds, and bees,
kids like us, too.
So what should we do?

Recycling is good.
It saves lots of wood.
I'll turn off the light,
add blankets at night.

I'll walk a lot more
to school and the store,
and plant a new tree--
a new friend for me.

3 comments:

  1. Carolyn you are a talented woman. Thanks for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this one. Did you ever hear anything on this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sent it to only one publisher, but never heard back. There silence after 3 months is to be taken as a rejection. I need to get busy and submit some more, but life has been chewing my time up as of late.

    ReplyDelete