Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Book Review: The Maze Runner, by James Dashner

This is a good read for your or your older kids if they like sci-fi-dystopia and a fast action page turner. The book caught me on the first page and kept me reading though the end, resenting the times I had to put it down to do other things.
Simply put, it's about a group of boys that have their minds wiped and get stuck inside a labyrinthine maze that's impossible to solve. There's only one safe spot--an acre in the center--that closes off every night. Every day when the boys wake up, the walls have changed and the maze is different. For years they've tried to think their way out of it and have made little to no progress.
I was slightly disappointed with the ending. Maybe it was because I was hoping that the characters I had learned to care for would be getting out of their dystopic environment and move on to a happier place and ending. Just the opposite. Of course this opens the way for Dashner's sequel, The Scorch Trials. Perhaps my disappointment came because I'm not a real fan of dystopic novels. But they do seem to be a big trend in Y.A. right now.
Because of its genre there were several instances of death befalling the characters in grizzly ways. Though indepth details weren't given (thank heavens), I don't think the novel is appropriate for younger kids (10 or younger).
If you are looking for a novel that makes you think; contemplate the universe, etc., this isn't the book. But if you want a fun read that keeps you on the edge of your seat, then I definately recomend this book.

3 comments:

  1. IT's odd what passes for children fiction now days. I don't even think I would recommend that to my 14 year old. Thank you so much for the review.

    ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got my copy ready to go! Thanks for the review :) ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ann, in response to your comment, I agree. When I said 10 years was too young for this book I was being very gracious and open minded. It is defineatly for an older audience. Even when I write for older audiences, I still write stuff that a kindergartener could read. That's just me.

    ReplyDelete